Brain Tumor Cancer
The growth of abnormal cells in the brain is known as a brain tumor cancer. Primary brain tumors begin in the brain. Secondary or metastatic brain tumors are a result of cancer in other parts of the body that spreads to the brain. Brain tumors can be both cancerous (malignant) and non-cancerous (benign) in nature. The location and growth rate of the brain tumor determines how the function of the nervous system gets affected by it.
In some cases there will be no symptoms at all. Also, the above symptoms do not indicate that there is brain tumor only. There could be other reasons of such symptoms in an individual.
Not all brain tumors are cancerous in nature. If an individual develops brain cancer, then the following symptoms would get evident:
- Swelling in the brain due to tumor
- Difficulty in movement
- Difficulty with speech
- Inappropriate vision
- Degeneration in the ability to concentrate, remember, focus or to be alert
- Degeneration in emotional response or intellectual capacity.
Brain Tumor Symptoms
There are different symptoms of the disease depending upon its location and growth rate. Common signs and symptoms include:
- Headaches that gradually increase in occurrence and degree
- Vomiting or nausea
- Hearing problems
- Difficulty in speech
- Degenerating of arm or leg movement and loss of sensation on these body parts
- Difficulty in vision – peripheral vision, double vision or blurred vision
- Difficulty in balancing one’s body
- Difficulty in speech
- Seizures in people who do not have a history of seizure
Brain Tumor Causes
Brain tumor can develop at any age. Though medical experts do not have exact reasons behind the development of this disease but they consider the following factors to be the causes of the disease:
- Family History – In some
peoplebrain tumor develops if there is a history of this disease in the family or if there is a history of certain genetic syndromes that lead to braintumor.
- Radiation Exposure – radiation caused by atomic bombs or radiation therapy to treat cancer can cause the disease.
Brain Tumor Types
- Primary Brain Tumors – It originates in the brain or in the tissues very close to the brain such as in the cranial nerves, brain covering membranes (meninges), pineal gland or pituitary glands. This type of brain tumor starts forming when normal cells get mutations or errors in the DNA. These erroneous cells grow at increased rates and survive
unlikethe healthy cells that die after a certain time frame. There are many different types of primary brain tumors like:
- Meningiomas – These are
non cancerousand arise from membranes surrounding spinal cords and brain.
- Acoustic Neuromas – These
non canceroustumors develop on the balance controlling and hearing nerves that connect the brain to the inner ear.
- Medulloblastomas – These tumors mostly develop in children and are cancerous in nature. It spreads through spinal fluids and develops in the lower back part of the brain.
- Pituitary Adenomas – As the name signifies, these tumors develop in the pituitary glands. Pituitary hormones get affected.
- Germ Cell Tumors – During the formation of testicles or ovaries of children, these cell tumors develop and affect other body parts including the brain.
- Craniopharyngiomas – These develop near the pituitary gland and as they grow in size, they slowly start affecting the pituitary gland.
Other than these types of primary brain tumors, there are certain other types of this disease that develop in the supportive tissue known as glial and are termed as gliomas. The following are the most common types of gliomas:
- Oligodendrogliomas – They develop in the cells that produce the fatty covering of the nerves known as myelin. There is slow growth of this type of tumor and it does not spread in the tissues surrounding the brain.
- Ependymomas – These tumors might develop in the spinal cord or in the lining of the ventricles. These are most common in children and adolescents.
- Astrocytomas – They develop in astrocytes which are small, star-shaped cells. They originate either in the brain or the spinal cord. If this type of tumor is affecting an adult, then most probably the place of its origin would be the cerebrum or the cerebellum. This tumor has different names depending upon the level of its growth.
2. Secondary Brain Tumors – These tumors are a result of cancer in some other part of the body that has spread to the brain. They occur in people with a history of the cancer disease. These brain tumors are also known as metastatic brain tumors and are sometimes symptoms of cancer in some other part of the body. Secondary brain tumors are more common to adults in comparison to the primary brain tumors.
Some common types of cancer that can cause secondary brain tumor are:
- Colon Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Breast Cancer
Brain cancer treatment is possible through surgery. Surgery is done to completely remove the tumor in the brain which has caused or which can cause brain cancer. Once the tumor is removed through surgery the symptoms disappear. Surgery is done if the following remedies have not brought positive results:
Administering of a steroid drug like decadron
Removal of cerebrospinal fluid that gets accumulated around the brain
Brain Tumor Operation
Before the brain tumor Surgey, the scalp is shaved and the patient is given anesthesia. An incision is made in the scalp with a special type of saw meant for the purpose. An individual might be awake while the surgery of removing the tumor is in progress. The surgeon ensures that the surgery is going successfully without any damage to the brain, by asking the patient to narrate a story, tell aloud the alphabets of the letter, count or move a leg. If the patient follows the surgeon’s command accurately, it means that the operation is going on the right track.
After the operation, the skull opening is covered with either a piece of bone or with a piece of fabric or metal. The incision is then closed.
Brain Tumor Treatment
The size and location of the tumor, as well as the type of the tumor,
How to ensure success in treatment and surgery
Jiyo India has
Always make an informed decision as far as your ailment is concerned. You should be a hundred percent sure about everything before handing over the responsibility of your treatment to any hospital and surgeon. Jiyo India is an excellent partner of yours in this quest.
Contact us on +91 8750033334, +91 8810627987 or write an email on firstname.lastname@example.org for medical assistance.
Also Read About:Brain Tumor : Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, Surgery & Types